Halloween candy can be a disaster if you eat too much or if you choose the wrong ones. However, do not think that you must refrain from indulging at all. If you choose to have candy, replace it for one of that day’s starches. If you are going to buy candy to give out to trick-or-treaters, then you might want to choose the healthier options in case you have leftovers. I’ve outlined some good & some bad choices:
- Lollipops are always satisfying AND contain no fat. The also take a long time to eat. For example, a Blowpop has 70 calories and 17 grams of carbohydrates.
- Do you remember Smarties? You might be surprised to find out that they only have 25 calories and 6 grams of carbohydrates per roll. Two rolls of Smarties would be equivalent to 1 starch.
- For a chocolate craving: tootsie rolls are always a good low-fat option. But remember to choose the midgees (they are the smallest ones) because you can have 6 for 140 calories and 28 grams of carbohydrates. Another great low-fat chocolate option is the York Peppermint Pattie Minis, with 75 calories and 15.5 grams carbohydrates for 6 pieces.
- Mounds are high in calories and have a ton of saturated fat – mainly because they contain coconut, a small fun-size bar has 3.5 grams of saturated fat.
- A fun-size pack of M&M’s has 73 calories, 2.7 grams of fat and 1.7 grams of saturated fat.
- Rolo’s also came in high with 190 calories and 9 grams of fat for 7 little pieces!
- One fun-size Butterfinger has 100 calories and 4 grams of fat, with 2 saturated.
Leave a comment